Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Almost 1 week old! (31 weeks gestational age)

The girls would be 31 weeks today if they were still inside of me.  A lot has changed since I last had time to blog.  Hannah got extubated just a few hours after Hailee did.  The medicine really helped their lungs and they are both now on cpap.  Each day it seems their level of oxygen needed had decreased and they have now been breathing room air for almost 2 days.  If they continue to do so well and don't have any breathing "spells" they will be off cpap in no time!  They both hate the machine on their nose.  When they get to take it off for a bath or anything else, they cry and cry when it has to go back on.  :(  It will be a big milestone for them to get rid of it!

Both girls have now been eating breastmilk for a few days now.  They are still eating it through a tube (can't suck, swallow, and breath at the same time until about 33-34 weeks gestational age), but they are digesting it well with little to no residuals left in their belly from it.  Their feedings just got upped yesterday and they are at 7 (Hannah) and 8 (Hailee) cc's which equals about a half ounce at each feeding every 3 hours.  I am pumping for them and bringing my milk to them each time we visit.  It was tough at the beginning, but I now have no problem with production which is great!  I feel that it is the one thing I can do for them while I am here at home and they are in the hospital.  Both girls are gaining great weight.  Hailee is now 3.7lbs and Hannah is 2.12lbs.  A couple more ounces and they will both be back to their birth weight. 

Both girls had high bili levels and had to be under the lights for jaundice a few days ago.  Hailee only for about 24 hours and Hannah for about 2 days.  They are both off now and their levels are measuring normal.

We were told Sunday that Hailee had a heart murmer.  Even though we were told this was common, we were so nervous about it.  She had a echo done yesterday and it came back that the murmer is completely normal and should close up on it's own very soon.  They will keep an eye on it until it's closed, but nothing else should have to be done.  We were so happy with the news!  It was the best birthday present I could've asked for! 

We have been able to hold the girls for the past few days now.  They hate coming out of their isolettes, but once they get situated they are so calm and go right to sleep.  I do "kangaroo care" with them where they go down in my shirt to lay.  This is very calming for the baby and helps keep their stress levels down.  Paul and I hold one of them each day and then switch the next day.  It's a process to get them out, but will be much easier once the cpap is off. 

We keep hearing from the doctors and nurses how fiesty the girls are!  Every time someone messes with them, they let them know they don't appreciate it!  The nurses say that's how they like the babies, it means they are doing well compared to a baby that just lays there.  I think it just makes it a bit more difficult for the nurse sometimes.  No one can believe when they ask if we have any other children that we already have a (almost) 17 month old too.  I can only imagine how busy I am going to be once the twins come home!  They both already have quite the personality! 

Even though it is tough not being right upstairs from where the girls are, it is nice to be home.  After 3 weeks of hospitalization, I was so ready to be with Paul and Ella all the time again.  We take Ella to her sitter's every day for about 4-5 hours so that we can spend that time with the girls.  When we aren't at the hospital, I am catching up on time spent with Ella.  We are starting this weekend on the girl's nursery.  I can't wait!  We have nothing done in it since I have been on bedrest or in the hospital for so long.  I love hanging all of their little clothes up in their closet that we get from people.  Hopefully once a few more tubes are off, we can start dressing them at the hospital.  Their clothes are so tiny but still look too big for them! 

Paul and I often talk about how we think Ella will be with the twins.  Ella has a huge personality now and thinks that everything revolves around her!  I don't really remember her being this rotten before I left, but she sure does have a mind of her own now!  It could be a combination of time with daddy and so much time being spoiled by grandparents :)  Leah thinks Ella will poke the twin's eyes out because that's what she does to her baby dolls.  Ha!  We will see I guess.  It will be interesting. 

We are so happy with the progress the girls have made in only a week.  We know we will still have setbacks, but hopefully they are just small.  I can't wait until they are off of all of their tubes and iv's and they can just keep warm and grow in the NICU.  I hope the next few weeks go quickly for us.  We can't wait to look back at this time as in the past.  We are trying to stay as strong as possible and just keep taking it day by day.  Thanks again for all of your prayers and support.  It truly does make things a little easier on us to be surrounded by so many people that care. 

Hannah, still intubated

Hannah, catching some rays

Hailee, tugging on her cpap while sleeping

Mommy and Hailee

Daddy and Hannah

Mommy and Hailee




Mommy and Hailee

Hailee already loves her paci

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I dug out my bag of preemie clothes. When I see you next I'll try to bring it so you'll have extra clothes since you have 2 babies to dress in the tiny gear : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie! We hope to make it back to church within the next couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete