Wednesday, January 12, 2011

At home bedrest wasn't so bad afterall...

I was admitted Monday to the hospital for the remainder of my pregnancy. At our ultrasound appointment, small baby was showingsome reverse diastolic bloodflow through her umbilical cord. This means that the blood is going the wrong way at times. I was admitted to OSU for constant monitoring of both babies. My doctor explained that if even the smallest thing went wrong at this point that the girls would be delivered.

It is now Wednesday and I am exactly 28 weeks. That is a big milestone for gestational age, so I am happy to have made it to this point. I am still being constantly monitored with biophysical profile ultrasound testing of each girl every day. Today was their 3rd test and they passed again with flying colors. Their heartrates have been great too. Tomorrow they will have the same test done that tested the bloodflow, like the one done Monday. I am nervous and anxious for the test. I hope the results are at least the same as they were before so that they can keep cooking for a while longer!

It is incredibly hard laying so still all day. If a baby moves or I move, the monitors lose the heartbeat and a nurse has to come find it again. My doctor has been in each day after office hours to check on me. I am in a labor and delivery room instead of on a floor so that I get constant one on one care. I would love to be sent to a "normal" room where monitoring was only a few times per day and I could have more visitors. They said as of now that is not happening.

Paul has been here almost nonstop. Mom, Leah, and Ella came today for a while. Ella is so sweet and I just miss her so much. However, she didn't like it much here! She was in to everything! There wasn't much for her to play with besides the spinning chair, a hospital magazine, and an uneaten orange. I think Paul is going to bring her back again Friday.

Paul and I did meet with the NICU team on Monday. They were a little reassuring. Doc said he has seen babies make it before all the way from 23 weeks! I can't even imagine! That's only about half of the normal gestational age! He said things our girls have going for them: that I have had the steroid shots and the fact that they are girls. Girl preemies do better overall than boys. Things our girls have going against them: that they are twins and that one is smaller than the other. He said if born now the girls would have a 10-20% chance of not making it. Every day in the womb brings them closer to the 10%.

I feel now like God's plan for the girls is already made. We have done everything we can do and will go with whatever the doc's think the best thing to do is. There comes a point when the girls are safer outside than in. We trust that they will be taken at the best time to give them the greatest chance of a healthy life. We appreciate all of the prayers going up for them and us.

2 comments:

  1. I apologize for the misspellings and incorrect grammar! That is a big pet peeve of mine, but I can only type on my phone and it won't let me go back to correct! Eh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, so sorry you're stuck in the hospital. If you were at Riverside I'd have all kinds of tips for you (and could tell you about the nurses on the High Risk OB floor), but I don't know anything about OSU, other than their NICU policies are different from Riverside and they kick you out during shift changes.... If you can have (and want) visitors, let me know. I can come by some morning with Lauren!

    ReplyDelete