Saturday, January 15, 2011

Finally...a plan is in place!

Today is Saturday and the twins have made it to 28 weeks and 3 days. I feel proud of this accomplishment! My doc and I had a conversation yesterday about our plan for the girls. The longest he will let them go is 30 weeks if nothing changes for the worse before then. That would be January 26th. I will have my doppler ultrasounds this coming Tuesday, Thursday, and the next Monday. I will have a higher chance of delivering on those days because if anything looks to be getting worse, the girls will come that day. Delivery on any other day would be because of an emergency.

When I was admitted to the hospital last Monday, both girls were in the breach position. By Wednesday baby B (bigger baby) had switched to vertex and since yesterday baby A (smaller baby) had also switched! I know it's because they love each other already and wanted to continue chatting in the womb! It's amazing to me because doctor's have told me since about 20 weeks that baby A wouldn't change positions because she didn't have enough fluid to turn in. We can already tell she's going to be a fighter! The doc's are even considering trying a vaginal delivery if the girls still look good. I didn't think this would be an option, so am excited about the possibility.

I spent one evening looking at the Preemies board of The Bump, a pregnancy and newborn website that I like. On different post discussions people have pictures of their preemie babies. It is truly amazing how many babies come at 25, 26, 27 weeks and so on and are now perfectly healthy toddlers and kids. The NICU pictures are heartbreaking, but so many of the babies come home and live a happy, healthy life. We can only hope that the girls will be two more of them!

Life in the hospital is getting tougher by the day, but I am handling it the best I can. I still cry each time I see Ella and that probably won't change until I am home with her everyday again. I have had a few flower deliveries and gifts sent, so my room is looking brighter all the time! Under the circumstances, Paul and I have realized how much people really do care by doing whatever they can to help. He said our fridge and freezer are packed with meals prepared, which I'm sure is a huge help for him and Ella. My friend Kristen let me borrow her iPad that I just got today. I am SO excited to be able to go on the Internet other than on my phone. I told Paul to watch out because I can see shopping being one thing I can do to brighten my mood a bit!

Ella came today to visit with mom. We were reading a book together that has flaps that uncover pictures. I always say "peek" when we lift a flap, and today Ella said "peek" when she lifted a flap. It was so cute! She seems to get sweeter and sweeter each time I see her. I can not wait until we are all home together as a family of five!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you have an IPad to use. I had a laptop with me, and just the distraction of things to do online was so helpful.

    Another preemie website that is good is www.inspire.com. They have a preemie and NICU discussion board (among others).

    I'm so excited that you might get to try a vaginal delivery. That would be great, and I'm sure a better recovery for you.

    Hang in there. You'll be up on your feet soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristen! I am just now hearing that you were admitted last week. I am sorry to hear that, but whatever is safest for the girls is best! love you, thinking of you, chin up!

    ReplyDelete