Wednesday, January 19, 2011

One week from today..

The girls will be born! My c-section is scheduled for Wednesday the 26th. I will be exactly 30 weeks at that point. I do have to have a c-section due to it being less stressful for the girls. I started to question the fact of why are they taking the babies at 30 weeks if they don't seem to be getting worse? I had a conversation with my doc this evening about it. He said that with the reverse diastolic flow, he feels like we may already be on borrowed time. He said it is better for the NICU team to care for a small well baby than a little bit bigger sick baby. I just hope that both babies are still well! He also said that he just really feels in his gut that it is best to stick with the 30 week plan. He said he doesn't want to keep waiting and then regret not taking them when originally planned if something did go downhill quickly. I have been praying that God will guide my doctor's decisions, so I am trusting that this is the right thing for the babies. My doc is also allowing me to have a couple hours per night of being off of the monitors to get some much needed sleep! I explained to him how I need sleep for my sanity and my own well being. The 3-5 hours per night I have been getting for the past week is just not cutting it anymore!

I am really getting sick of hospital food! If I see one more meatloaf, pot roast, or any other chunk of beef that I question what it really is I may puke! Since this is my second week here, all of the meals are repeating themselves. My friend Tina sent me a box of chocolate dipped fruit today from Edible Arrangements. I have my doppler ultrasound tomorrow and will not be able to eat until they know I won't be delivering based upon the results so I figure I may as well eat all of the fruit tonight while it's still good and fresh :) Thank you Tina! Paul and Ella brought me Chipotle this evening. Ella loves Chipotle! She loves the cheese quesadilla, rice, and beans. I like when they come to eat dinner with me and I can feed Ella. As strange as it sounds, I cannot wait to be home to do things like feed, change, and put Ella to bed again. I miss doing all of those things so much! I'm sure Paul wouldn't mind a break from doing all of those things either.

Sunday night I had my first argument with one of the resident doctors here. It was by far the worst night I have had thus far. I know that I am not supposed to eat after midnight the night before my doppler ultrasounds because if something looks worse than the last one, I will have a c-section that day. I got up around 1:00am to use the restroom and took a sip of water. Below is my conversation from there on out:

Nurse: You can't have water! You may have a section tomorrow!
Me: my mouth is so dry from the hospital air and I can barely swallow. Can I have a few ice chips? (knowing that they normally allow ice chips for anything)
Nurse: I'll go ask a resident doctor and be right back. (comes back) Um, she said no.
Me: That's ridiculous! I can't even swallow! We don't even know I will def have a section tomorrow!
Nurse: Would you like to speak to her?
Me: Yes!
Resident: Can I help you with something?
Me: Yes. That is completely ridiculous that I can't even have a few ice chips or even something to swish around in my mouth. I dont even know what time my dopplers are tomorrow, let alone what time the section would be if I had one! My mouth is completely dry, I have a sore throat, and can't even swallow from the air in here! What would you do if someone went into labor on their own, came in and needed a section, and had drank some water a few hours ago?
Resident: Well we would have to give them a general and put them to sleep for their surgery. You should be on IV fluid anyways for dehydration.
Me: Bull! You cannot tell me that you would put them to sleep! I know that is a last resort for anyone having a section! I havent been on IV fluid my entire time here thus far! This is ridiculous! I know plenty of people dont drink anything from midnight to morning and don't dehydrate! Please, call my OB's doctor on call right now and they will give you an order for me to have ice chips tonight and not be on IV fluids.
Resident: Fine, you can have ice chips. But you have to get on IV fluids by morning.
Me: Fine.

I got my ice chips but they did wake me at 5:00am to hook up the fluid. I was so mad. I know it sounds a little crazy on my part, but after being here for over a week and barely ever moving from bed, the small things start to make a big difference! I feel like every day they are taking more blood for something or another, giving me more shots (I am now on a blood thinner which is given via shot twice per day), or just making me more miserable in one way or another. I was on fluid until my results came back that afternoon and it was a pain dragging that pole around to the bathroom and whatnot. I told my doc when he visited that day about my experience. He added to my chart that I can have ice chips at any time, do not need IV fluids at any time until I am actually going into surgery, and am not to be woken up before 7:00am for blood being drawn or anything else that can be done later in the day. Reason #56 why I love my OB..he stands up for me!

As of Monday's growth scan, baby A weighed 2.3lbs and baby B weighed 3.7lbs. I am hoping they both continue to grow for the next week. They still have a pretty big discordance, but each put on quite a bit of weight which is great!

My nurse for the night just came in and she is one of my favorites! She lets me do my thing and isn't in my room every half hour. I am hoping to get a decent night's sleep.

2 comments:

  1. So glad your talk with DAR went well. I was praying about that conversation all day, so I'm glad that you're going to get some relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you will get to meet the 2 baby girls that you have gone through so much for. I know they will be beautiful, look at Ella. I will have all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Can't wait to see pictures.

    ReplyDelete