Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Another surgery for 2011

My week of injuries/surgeries began last Friday.  I had a Christmas party that I had gone to my mom's for.  My kids were staying with my cousin at my mom's house for my girl's night out.  I was upstairs bringing Hannah down from a nap right before time to go.  Ella was right behind me on the stairs.  Next thing I knew BOOM, THUD, THUD, THUD, THUD....I had fallen half way down my parent's stairs while holding Hannah.  I twisted (or did something to) my four small toes on my left foot, then went down about 5 stairs on my tailbone.on.every.stair.  If you have never fallen on your tailbone, I hope you never do.  It hurt SO bad!  I was still holding Hannah, she was screaming, Ella was screaming from behind me, and I was crying...out of pain and out of fright that I had hurt Hannah.  Hannah's head was red in one spot, so I think I hit it on the banisters coming down.  She eventually settled down though and was fine.  Me, not so much.  I got a huge immediate bruise above those four toes, and it was bleeding in between them.  It was gross.  I could barely stand or sit, because my tailbone hurt so bad.  Anyways, I made it to the party....with slippers on because I couldn't get my shoe on that one foot and every time I stood or sat I looked like a 90 year old because it took me about 60 seconds to do the action that normally takes 5. 

I'm sure a few of you remember back in July when I said I had been in a boating accident and my nose was broken.  Well, my surgery was scheduled for last week.  I started having second thoughts after the whole "fall" from the previous Friday.  I could not be out of commission for a week or more, well really even for a few days!  Having three little girls two and under is demanding work.  The doctor telling me I couldn't lift more than 10lbs for two weeks after surgery was just ridiculous.  I called the doctor and got a call back from him to go over things.  He went over with me how my right nostril was 75% blocked and if I didn't get surgery now, I would need it in the future.  For financial sake, it made sense to get it done this year because our deductible was already paid in full from having the twins.  My mom had already taken off work to come down, Paul was scheduled off for a few days after that.  I decided to go ahead and get the surgery done with. 

Paul took me to surgery.  I was going to be put under (obviously) and intubated (did not find this out until I was already in pre-op).  Surgery was going to take about an hour.

I remember waking up from surgery and feeling AWFUL!  The doctor talked to Paul about how things went.  My nose was cracked/broken in three places at the top, the cartilage was smashed in on the one side, and the tip was crooked.  In other words, once they got in there things looked much worse than we had originally thought.  Paul and I left the hospital and I just burst into tears on the way home, trying to breathe as much as I could with stuffing packed up my nose, blood and snot coming out my mouth, and my whole head throbbing/aching/in extreme pain.  I had a splint on that had to be left on for a week. 

The first, second, and third days were horrible!  I literally did not come out of our bedroom for those days.  My kids did not even know I was here.  I had to sleep sitting up and I tried to sleep as much as possible.  I took my pain meds around the clock...and I am NOT a medicine person.  I don't like taking medicine myself, giving it to my kids, nothing.  But this pain was unbearable.  I would've rather went through a c-section recovery any day over this.  I finally came down stairs after the first couple days and after the initial shock of my kids seeing me (I'm sure it was quite scary) Ella sat with me on the couch to watch TV.  Within about 10 minutes, she got excited, and WHAP! smacked me right in the face!  Tears, throbbing, pain!!  Back upstairs I went for another 36 hours or so.  Not only did Paul end up taking the rest of the week off, but we hired babysitters to come help for as much time as we could.  Paul needed to help me as much as he could too and he had to try not to get SO far behind on work.

Finally by the end of this past weekend, I was feeling good enough to be downstairs.  I started eating things other than yogurt, ice cream, and applesauce.  Yesterday, Monday, I got out of the house with my mom's group for a late dinner/coffee and Cosi.  Today I took my kids to Firefly Play Cafe.  Even though I am still exhausted, have pretty constant pain, and have a nice black eye, I need to get out of the house and get my kiddos out doing things.  They are not used to being cooped up all week in the house.  I have repeated my story now at least 10 times to every stranger that has asked "WOW, What happened to your eye?"  I can deal with that...I'm just hoping it's not for much longer.  I have been improving every day.  Paul has his work Christmas party on Thursday evening and I do not want to go with this black eye.  I don't know how I can make him go alone again though, as last year I was on bedrest for his party.  We will see. 

From all of this, I do not know how people go through plastic surgery for voluntary reasons.  Literally the WORST pain of.my.life.  I have been in the hospital far too much in 2011.  I am hoping that in 2012 I have no surgeries spend much less time being bed ridden for such things! 

I did not want to disgust anyone with photos of myself for this blog post :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment