Monday, September 10, 2012

Ella's 1st Day of Preschool!

When I went in to get Ella from her room this morning, she was already dressed in her first day outfit that we had picked out the night before.  She was so excited for her first day of preschool.  We had given her a special book the night before and read it multiple times before bed.  It was all about craft time, circle time, playing outside, singing, and meeting new friends.  I told Ella she would be doing all of these things today and she could not wait.  Today was a special bear day.  Each kid was supposed to bring their favorite bear to show.  Ella chose her polar bear.  Good idea from the teachers too, giving each kid something to snuggle and hold on to if they get upset on their first day!

We all came downstairs, the girls ate a good breakfast and watched some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse to get the day started.  I went outside with Ella to do a mini photo shoot before leaving for school.  I got some super cute photos of her with the chalk board that I had looked all around town for this past weekend.




We left for school and were there early.  We parked for a few minutes to pass time.  Ella kept asking when it was time to go in.  We finally got in the drop off line behind about 10 other cars.  I was nervous for this, as someone else comes to the car to get Ella and brings her into school.  It's great because I don't have to get out in the mornings, especially with the babies and in the winter.  I have heard several times that if you don't do drop off the first day, you will end up bringing your child in every day because that is then what they get used to.  Ella started to get a little teary eyed, all of a sudden saying she wanted to go home.  She didn't want to play outside, do crafts, dress up, or do any of the things we had talked about. She kept saying "Go home now mommy, no school."  Poor girl.  But when it was our turn in the line, she put on her backpack, grabbed her bear, and was out of the car with no problem!  I yelled "Bye Ella!  Have a great day, mommy loves you!" out of the window and she waved.  I shut the window to drive away and started to cry.  Kids growing up is tough on mommy!  I called Paul and of course he thought I was crazy. 

By the time the babies and I got home I knew I only had two hours to get a million things done.  I was busy, busy for that time being.  Soon enough, I loaded up the girls and we were off to get Ella.  I was almost to the highway and realized I had forgotten the stroller!  Hannah and Hailee didn't even have shoes on!  Ugh!  I turned around, sped back to our house, and got the stroller.  There was no way I could carry them in to get Ella and I didn't want them walking barefoot. 

I called a friend on my way to the school, to try to pass the time so I wouldn't get all bent out of shape about being right on time, if not a little late.  I pulled into the parking lot with one minute to spare, literally.   I looked around and saw all of these moms of kids in Ella's class already coming out with their kids!  Oh no!  Leave it to me to be late on the very first day!  I ran in with H&H in their stroller.  I ran over to Ella's class and there she was, sitting on a beanbag all by herself reading a book.  She was the only one left in the class!  Poor girl!  I felt awful!  Of course the teachers were like "Oh, she's fine, you aren't even late"!  Yes, but she was still the last one left on the very first day!  They said they sometimes dismiss a couple minutes early.  Nice.  Thanks for letting us know that small bit of information on orientation day!  They said she did so great all day.  Never got upset even once.  I was so proud of my sweet girl.  I guess someone has to be the last one picked up, right?  She told me all about her day on our way home.  She was proud of her bear craft that she made today:


Ella is already ready for the next time she gets to go to school.  Let's just say I will be leaving a few minutes earlier to pick her up at the end of the day :)

1 comment:

  1. Aw, yay for Ella! And...Emory was always the last person picked up last year, and last one to arrive. :-) This year, we've (I've) done great being on time! Granted, it's only been five days of preschool...but I think Emory being a year older than last helps a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete