Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hailee is home!

Hailee came home on Friday.  It was bittersweet picking her up and leaving Hannah behind.  It upset me a lot more than I thought it would.  Paul and I visited with Hannah for a while, did Hailee's discharge, picked up Ella from Kim's, and were home by 2:00pm.  Hailee's nurse was so happy for us.  She kept hugging me before we got into the car.  Most of the nurses treat the girls so well.  We have really gotten to know some of them well throughout this experience. 

We picked up Ella and she really didn't pay much attention to Hailee.  She would glance over at her every once and a while but then just start watching tv again.  Once we got home and set Hailee down in her carrier, Ella kept going up to her to look at her and then would run away.  It's almost like she was embarrassed.  It was funny.  Paul and I have been paying even more time and attention to Ella than we normally would.  The last thing we want is for her to get upset and jealous.  We have still been reading to her all the time, playing with her, and including her in everything we do with Hailee.  So far she seems fine.  She was a little clingy to me yesterday, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Ella is used to me babysitting and other kids being around, so I think that helps.  We'll see how it goes once she realizes the baby isn't going anywhere...and once there are two of them!

Our first couple nights weren't bad at all.  Paul and I picked up our schedule right where we left off with Ella.  I go to bed around 10:00pm after Hailee is fed.  Paul stays up for the 1:00am feeding, then I get up for the 4:00am feeding.  At the 7:00am feeding I just get up for the day.  We will see if this can continue when Hannah comes home! 

Hailee is doing ok breastfeeding.  I attempt every other feeding and then offer her a bottle of pumped milk to make sure she's full.  I don't want to try every time yet because I need to make sure she's getting her full amount (2oz) at least every other time.  Breastfeeding is more work for her, so sometimes she poops out and just seems too tired.  Hopefully if I keep trying then she'll get the hang of it.  I am hoping at least one of the girls prefers it.  It is a lot of work to be breastfeeding, pumping, and washing like 8x's per day.  I know it took Ella a while to really get it, so I'm trying to be patient. 

Hannah is doing well.  She is taking all bottles now.  They tried to wean her to an open crib the other day and she failed the wean.  She got a lot slower with her feedings and her oxygen levels started dropping with feedings.  That means that she was wearing herself out trying to keep herself warm instead of having the isolette to do that for her.  So, she is back in her isolette now.  Hopefully they will try again in a couple days.  Now that Hailee is home, I'm dying to get Hannah home more than ever!  I hate putting these cute outfits on Hailee that we have a matching one for Hannah, but Hannah can't wear hers because she isn't here.  Paul and I still plan to visit Hannah every day.  He will go during lunch at work and I will go when he gets home from work in the evenings. 

I'm excited for tomorrow.  Mom and Leah are coming down for the day.  I can't wait for them to see Hailee at home.  She is just the sweetest thing.  It's crazy that she is still the size of a small newborn, but is 6.5 weeks old.  At discharge Hailee was 6lbs 5oz and as of last night Hannah was 5lbs 8oz.  We also have Hailee's first pediatrician appointment tomorrow. 

Ella, excited for her sissy to come home!
Big Sister

 
Hannah

 
Hannah, on Hailee's discharge day :(


Hailee, ready to go home!
 

 
Ella, checking out her new sis
Already loving her boppy!
Daddy and Hailee
Hailee after her first bath at home
Mommy and Hailee
Ready for some food!
Ella, trying to help calm Hailee
She's going to be a good little helper!





1 comment: